Free Application For Student Aid: www.fafsa.ed.gov
Many colleges and private scholarships require the FAFSA to be completed before a student will be considered for their grants and/or scholarships.
|The FAFSA is Here!|
|The 2019-20 FAFSA is here! Here are a few tips. This year students can access the FAFSA by visiting FAFSA.gov or by using the NEW myStudentAid mobile app. The FAFSA should be completed as soon as possible after Oct. 1 to ensure priority consideration for some types of financial aid. It’s best to gather all necessary materials before starting the FAFSA. Since the 2019-20 FAFSA allows applicants to use 2018 tax year information, families can use their 2018 return to complete the application right away! There's no need to wait.To complete and submit the FAFSA online, students and one of their parents/guardians will each need to create a FSA ID (Federal Student Aid ID) at FSAID.ed.gov. This username/password serves as an electronic signature on the FAFSA and certain student loan applications, and allows them to access other federal student aid websites. It’s beneficial for families to create their FSA IDs before starting the FAFSA to speed up the application process. Visit UCanGo2.org to download an FSA ID Worksheet (in English and Spanish) to keep track of your information.|
For more information and FAFSA resources, including educational tools and tutorial videos in English and Spanish, visit StartWithFAFSA.org.
Scholarship and Financial Aid Resources:
The following links are great sources of information. Search for scholarships, find tips for completing applications, writing scholarship essays, and much more.
- Bixby Educational Endowment Foundation/BEEF
- Five Steps to Kickstart Your Application Essay
Scholarships for Students with Disabilities:
Legacy Scholarships 2019-20
The Legacy Scholarship applications are now open for 2020 awards. Applications are available in the high school counseling office and are due on March 31st. The Oklahoma District of Optimist International created these 3 $1000 Legacy scholarships to honor three of its most esteemed members who have worked tirelessly throughout the years “Bringing Out the Best in Kids”.
Fire Marshals Association of OK Scholarships 2019-20
The Fire Marshal'sAssociation of Oklahoma, in an endeavor to support technical training in fire prevention and related fields, is offering a $500.00 scholarship(s) to graduating high school seniors enrolling and/or is currently enrolled, in an approved fire prevention curriculum. Through this program it is the Association's hope that eligible students, in need of financial assistance, will not be denied the opportunity to study and pursue a career which will contribute to a reduction in loss of life and property due to fire. Please use this link for additional information: Fire Marshals Association of OK Scholarship Form
University of Tulsa Scholarships 2019-20
The Special Programs application gives students the opportunity to apply for several different interdisciplinary programs at one time. The deadline to apply is January 15, 2020. Scholarships include:
- Presendential Scholarship (covers full tuition for four years (8 consecutive undergraduate semesters total, excluding summers)
- Early Careers in Community Medicine
- Presidential Leaders Fellowship
- Honors Program
- Global Scholars
- Presbyterian Leaders and Scholars Program
Jiffy Lube "What Drives You?" Scholarships 2019-20
Jiffy Lube of Tulsa is launching their first annual Jiffy Lube “What Drives You?” Scholarship Program in your area! The 16 local Jiffy Lube locations are sponsoring this scholarship. Jiffy Lube will award one $4,000 scholarship and two $1,000 scholarships this school year to 3 Tulsa area students! It will be the easiest scholarship your students will apply for! The deadline is March 16th, 2020. Please use the following link for details: https://yourturn2apply.com/
Travis W. Watkins Tax Resolution & Accounting Firm Scholarship 2019-20
The Travis W. Watkins Tax Resolution & Accounting Firm Scholarship is a one-time $1,000 award for any current or soon-to-be student who has had his or her family’s life altered because of tax controversies (back taxes owed, audits, etc.). The Travis W. Watkins Scholarship has a brief and 100% confidential submission process, and applicants will be judged on their ability to convey the importance of tax compliance as well as the journey of those challenges (including the impact of professional tax representation or lack of representation on the outcome). Please use the following link for additional information: https://www.traviswatkins.com/scholarship/
Electric: Mobile Device IT Innovation Scholarship 2019-20
A $1000 scholarship for those interested in an IT career path. The Electric NYC Mobile Device Management IT Innovation Scholarship is an award for any current or soon-to-be undergrad who has a passion for innovating in the mobile IT (software or hardware) space. The scholarship has a brief submission process, and applicants will be judged on their ability to convey their idea for a useful innovation in MDM technology. Please use the following link for additional information: https://www.electric.ai/mobile-device-innovation
Elks Foundation Most Valuable Student Scholarships 2019-20
The 2020 MVS application is now open. Applications can be found online at enf.elks.org/MVS. The application deadline is November 5th. This contest presents scholarship opportunities at several levels:
- The Elks National Foundation (ENF) awards 500 four-year scholarships based on scholarship, leadership, and financial need, with awards ranging from $4,000 to $50,000.
- The Oklahoma Elks Association awards another 50 one-time scholarships of $800 to $1,000.
- Tulsa Elks Lodge 946 awards two local scholarships, considering only Tulsa County applicants who select Lodge 946 as the sponsoring Lodge for the application.
MVS Scholarships are for students pursuing a four-year degree on a full-time basis (min of 12 semester hours) at a U.S. college or university. Applicants must be current high school seniors (or the equivalent) and U.S. citizens. Neither having an Elks member as a relative nor any affiliation with the Elks organization is required. Award winners are to be announced in April 2020.
University of Central Oklahoma - Automatic Scholarships 2019-20
A very exciting addition to our Incoming Freshman Scholarships! The UCO application is a joint application, meaning students are applying for both admission AND UCO scholarships upon completion. The formula at the top of our scholarship guide (attached below) helps them view their eligibility for our automatic academic scholarships before even enrolling! Our application deadline is February 3rd, meaning we require the application completed, ACT/SAT official scores and an official High School transcript. Just a reminder, we do not accept transcripts sent via email so please use an official electronic transcript exchange service such as Xap, Parchment, etc. We also accept sealed transcripts via mail or you can send them with your students during their college visits.
Discover Student Loans Scholarship 2019-20
Discover Student Loans is giving away one $5,000 scholarship each month this year! The earlier your college-bound students and parents enter, the more chances they have to win. Families can visit Scholarship.CollegeCovered.com to enter today. No purchase or loan necessary to enter or win. See Official Rules for details.
Frances Koop Parsons/AT&T Pioneer Memorial Scholarship 2019-20
The Oklahoma State Regents for Higher Education assists in the administration of the Frances Koop Parsons/AT&T Pioneers Memorial Scholarship. This scholarship program was established through the AT&T Pioneers to assist Oklahoma students in obtaining their education goals. The recipients of this scholarship will receive a $1,000 cash award to be used at an eligible Oklahoma career technology center, two-year college, or four-year university. This scholarship is open to first-time freshmen with at least a 3.0 high school GPA whose family income does not exceed $75,000. The 2020-21 application is in the Bixby High School counseling office and must be postmarked on or before March 27, 2020.
OU Crimson Commitment
The University of Oklahoma is excited to announce our newest program to help make OU more affordable, Crimson Commitment. Crimson Commitment guarantees scholarships and grants to pay for tuition and average fees for an OU student who qualifies and receives Oklahoma's Promise.
“Crimson Commitment will provide Oklahoma Promise students with a path to achieve their goal of an OU degree,” said Brad Burnett, Associate Vice President for Enrollment and Student Financial Services. “We are excited to offer more resources to qualifying Oklahomans, including both our current and prospective students."
To qualify for Crimson Commitment for the 2019-20 school year, students must:
- Qualify fully for Oklahoma's Promise
- Apply to OU by the Feb. 1 deadline
- Be admitted to OU as a direct from high school, first-time, full-time freshman
- Complete a FAFSA by Mar. 1 of their high school senior year
- Be enrolled as a full-time student each semester
* No separate application is needed for Crimson Commitment as long as the student applies and receives Oklahoma's Promise, and applies to OU by Feb. 1. This new program will replace Sooner Promise. Tuition and fees will vary based on a student's major. Please check the OU Bursar website for exact course fees.
Click below to learn more about Crimson Commitment. If you have any questions, we encourage you to contact your OU admissions counselor, Samuel Kiehl, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Links to Specific Scholarships:
- American Legion National High School Oratorical Contest - www.legion.org
- Axa Achievement Scholarship - www.axa-achievement.com
- Burger King Scholars Program - www.bkmclamorefoundation.org
- Catching the Dream - varied scholarships for Native American students -www.catchingthedream.org
- Christian Ministers Alliance Inc - All inquiries may be emailed to email@example.com. Application is available in the counseling office.
- Coca-Cola Scholars Program - $25,000 - 150 Awards (Deadline October 31st) https://studentscholarships.org/scholarship/8843/cocacolascholarsprogramscholarship.php
- Dr. Pepper Tuition Giveaway - submit a video about your one of a kind story to -www.drpepper.com.
- Duck Tape Stuck at Prom Scholarship - awards for prom outfits made exclusively out of Duck tape - www.stuckatprom.com/
- East Central Oklahoma Electric Cooperative - www.ecoec.com/content/operation-round-1
- Elks National Foundation, Inc Scholarships - scholarships to a total of 500 students nationwide through its "Most Valuable Student" scholarship contest. Deadline is soon- November 5th, 2019 www.enf.elks.org/MVS
- Epsilon Sigma Alpha Foundation Scholarship Program - Non-profit foundation pledged to develop philanthropic activities of volunteers - www.epsilonsigmaalpha.org
- Gates Millennium Scholars - minority students who will go to an accredited college/university, demonstrate leadership through community service or other activities, and have financial need based on Federal guidelines - www.gmsp.org
- George C. Brooks - Named after Financial Aid Director George C. Brooks this scholarship is designed to enhance recruitment and retention of students from racial or ethnic groups that are underrepresented in relation to the university's goal to achieve educational benefits of a diverse student body. This scholarship will provide $7500.00 for non-residents of Missouri plus waive the out of state fees. approx $15,000 total. Renewable for 3 additional years. scholarships.missouri.edu
- Gordon A. Rich Memorial Foundation Scholarship - for students whose parents/guardians work in the financial services industry - www.gordonrich.org
- Gus Archie Memorial Scholarship - students who will obtain a degree in petroleum engineering - www.spe.org/scholarships/archie.php
- Hispanic Heritage Youth Awards - Must have a minimum unweighted 3.0 GPA on a 4.0 scale - https://studentscholarships.org/scholarship/13676/hispanicheritageyouthawardsscholarship.php
- Horatio Alger Scholarship - $25,000 - 106 Awards (Deadline October 25th) Student must be a senior with plans to enter a college in the US and exhibit a strong commitment to pursue and complete a bachelor's degree at an accredited non-profit public or private institution in the US. https://studentscholarships.org/scholarship/9417/horatioalgerscholarship.php
- Jimmie Dean Scholarship - Must be graduating from OK high school and plan to attend an Oklahoma college or university - www.jimmiedeanfoundation.org
- John F. Kennedy Profiles in Courage Essay Contest -www.jfklibrary.org/education/profile-in-courage-essay-contest.aspx
- John Starks 3 Point Scholarship - www.johnstarks.com
- Junior League of Tulsa - www.jltulsa.org/?nd=schlrshp
- Kappa Kappa Iota - For students interested in pursuing an Education degree. Email firstname.lastname@example.org to find out current scholarship availability.
- Make the U Scholarship - $15,000 - 31 Awards (Deadline October 15th) Student must show academic excellence and demonstrate dedication to community service. https://studentscholarships.org/scholarship/12459/maketheuscholarship.php
- McKelvey Foundation Entrepreneurial Scholarships - www.mckelveyfoundation.org
- National Multiple Sclerosis Society - scholarships for those with multiple sclerosis, or anyone who is a child of someone with multiple sclerosis and will be attending an accredited postsecondary school for the first time. www.nationalMSsociety.org/scholarship
- Music Auditions/Scholarships for Pittsburg State University - Any student regardless of academic major may audition for a scholarship - www.pittstate.edu/department/music
- NHS Scholarship Program - NHS seniors in good standing are eligible to be nominated by their chapters to compete in the NHS Scholarship Program -www.nhs.us/students/the-nhs-scholarship/
- NROTC Navy Scholarship Program - When you graduate, you enter the Navy as a commissioned officer - www.nrotc.navy.mil/apply.html but if interested, talk to your counselor as well.
- Nursing Schools Almanac - This scholarship is open to all high school seniors who plan to pursue college education in nursing, including LPN / LVN, ADN, and BSN programs - www.nursingschoolsalmanac.com Click the banner on the right-hand side of the website's homepage to find detailed scholarship information and the official application form.
- OK College Start -www.secure.okcollegestart.org/Home/Educators/Scholarship_Corner.aspx
- Oklahoma Engineering Foundation - scholarships to incoming freshman at Oklahoma Universities studying Engineering - www.oef.org
- Oklahoma Heritage Assoc. Competition - www.oklahomaheritage.com
- Oklahoma Junior Chamber International - www.jayceefoundationofok.org/applications.htm
- Optimist International Oratorical Contest - www.optimist.org/member/scholarships4.cfm?
- OSU Spears College Of Business - Numerous scholarships for freshmen. Students must select "Business" as your college choice on the OSU admissions application -www.spears.okstate.edu/undergraduate/scholarships/freshmen
- OSU Valedictorian Scholarship - available to the Valedictorians of the BHS graduating senior class - www.financialaid.okstate.edu
- OU Club of Tulsa - www.oucluboftulsa.com/scholarships/
- Print and Graphics Scholarship Foundations Scholarship - students pursuing a career in graphic communications - www.pgsf.org/about/
- Questbridge Scholarship - The QuestBridge College Prep Scholarship levels the playing field of college admissions. It equips outstanding low-income juniors with the knowledge necessary to compete for admission to the nation's most selective colleges - www.questbridge.org/
- Seabee Memorial Scholarship - Must be US citizen, child or grandchild of a current, honorably discharged, deceased or enlisted member of Naval Construction FORCE (Seabees) or Navy CEC (Civil Engineers Corps.) - www.seabee.org
- SEG Foundation Scholarship - Student must have a career/major interest in physics, math, or geology/earth sciences -https://seg.org/Scholarships
- SIXT Rent A Car - Annual Scholarship available to 5 students, $5000 toward their study at an accredited 2 or 4-year college. To learn more- www.sixt.com/sixt-scholars/
- Society of Petroleum Engineers - Tulsa area residents pursuing petroleum engineering degrees at an Oklahoma university. www.spemc.org.
- Society of Women Engineers - various scholarships for eligible female students interested in pursuing degrees in engineering. www.swe.org
- Sons of The American Revolution - available for all BSA Scouts that have achieved the rank of Eagle Scout - www.sar.org
- SP High School Scholarship - $10,000 - 10 Awards (Deadline October 31st) https://studentscholarships.org/scholarship/14803/spscholarship.php
- Student -View Scholarship Program - $11,000 worth of scholarships to high school seniors planning to attend a four-year Community/Junior /Career school- No Min SAT/ACT - just log on to www.student-view.com and complete a 15-20 min application survey about colleges in your area. The scholarship will be awarded via a random drawing of all completed applications.
- Trimble Strong Foundation Scholarship - https://www.trimblestrong.org/
- Tulsa Engineering Foundation, Inc - scholarships for students planning to study an accredited engineering curriculum - www.tulsaengineer.org
- Tulsa Post Society of American Military Engineers - http://www.sametulsa.org/scholarship.html
- UCanGo2 - www.ucango2.org/scholarships/deadline.html#09
- The Vegetarian Resource Group Scholarship - scholarships to graduating seniors who have promoted vegetarianism in their schools or communities - http://www.vrg.org/student/scholar.htm
- WACE National CO-OP Scholarship Program - www.waceinc.org
Oklahoma Tribal Scholarship Websites:
- www.muscogeenation-nsn.gov (Creek)
Academic Common Market Program:
This program among Southern states (the Southern Regional Education Board) allows students to pay in-state tuition rates at a non-Oklahoma college or university while studying in select programs not available at Oklahoma public institutions. www.sreb.org/page/1304/academic_common_market.html
Students who need a letter of recommendation from a counselor should first fill out a Student Profile (available in the counseling office). After filling out the Student Profile, students should give his/her counselor detailed information as to what is required for the letter of recommendation and where to send the letter once it is completed. Please allow at least 2 weeks for letters of recommendation. During busy times of the year in the counseling office, turn-around time may be 2-3 weeks. Failure to provide adequate information will delay the process considerably.