4 UNITS (8 SEMESTERS) OF ENGLISH
- English I, II, III, and IV or Equivalent
3 UNITS (6 SEMESTERS) OF MATHEMATICS
- Must include Algebra I and above
- Beginning with students entering 9th grade in the 2008-2009 school year, 3 units of Mathematics must be taken in Grades 9-12, in addition to any courses that were taken prior to Grade 9
3 UNITS (6 SEMESTERS) OF LAB SCIENCE
- Must include Biology
3 UNITS (6 SEMESTERS) OF SOCIAL STUDIES
- Must include Oklahoma History, US Government, US History, World History
- *The required Fine Arts competencies are embedded in World History
10 UNITS OF ELECTIVE CREDITS
- Must include 2 Units of the same Foreign Language OR 2 Units of Computer Science
- 1 Additional Unit from Core Courses
- 1 semester (or set of competencies) of Personal Financial Literacy (Beginning with entering 9th graders in 2010-2011)
23 Units for Graduation
Concurrent enrollment permits qualified students to take college courses for college credit while completing high school requirements for graduation. Only qualified juniors and seniors who are able to meet all Bixby High School graduation requirements may take concurrent courses.
Minimum ACT Composite and Subject Scores for Concurrent Enrollment in Courses in Subject Area
Concurrent students may only enroll in curricular areas where they have met the ACT assessment requirements for college placement as indicated below:
|Composite or unweighted GPA||English||Reading||Mathematics||Science Reasoning|
19 or 3.0
21 or 3.5
Concurrent enrollment courses may be counted as core or elective high school credit for graduation requirements in addition to college credit. To qualify for high school credit, a student must present to the Bixby High School registrar, immediately upon completion of the college course, an official transcript from the college or university where the course was successfully completed. This is entirely the student's responsibility. College courses taken as concurrent enrollment are listed on the high school transcript and will be calculated in the student's high school grade point average. College courses that fulfill a core graduation credit requirement will be weighted with one (1) additional point for each grade in the calculation of GPA for class ranking. College courses which fulfill an elective graduation credit will be included in the calculation of the GPA but will not receive any additional weight.
Steps Required to Establish Concurrent Enrollment
- Meet with your high school counselor to discuss eligibility for concurrent enrollment.
- Apply to Tulsa Community College for admission
- Obtain a TCC concurrent enrollment form from the Bixby High School counseling office.
- Obtain written/signed approval to enroll in concurrent enrollment courses from parent, counselor, and building principal or assistant principal.
- Enroll and pay fees at the college.
- Provide the counseling office with a copy of your class schedule and proof of payment.
- Only after you have provided proof of enrollment will your high school class schedule be changed to reflect concurrent enrollment courses.
Concurrently enrolled students who elect to withdraw from a college course prior to completion of that course must wait until the next semester begins at the high school before adding additional high school courses to their schedule.
WEEKLY grade checks for all concurrently enrolled students must be turned into the High School Assistant Principals' office. Grades in concurrent courses are considered for eligibility to participate in extracurricular activities.