Bixby Central Elementary offers a proactive and comprehensive counseling program utilizingthe Great Expectations model. We are very excited about this school year because our students here at Central are simply the best!
The guidance and counseling program at Central Elementary provides a quality educational opportunity for all students.
- Promotes social, emotional, and personal growth at each stage of development
- Aids in the development of decision-making, problem solving, and coping skills
- Helps with transitions and changes
- Assists all students to mature in understanding of themselves and others
- Offers crisis intervention and remediation services
- Provides opportunities to learn and practice social skills in classroom and small group settings
- Provides services for children with special needs
- Supports students who are new to the school
Individual and Small Group Counseling
The school counselor meets with individuals and small groups to address various topics. Students can be referred by themselves or by their parents, teachers, or other staff members.
- Provide support for school related issues and concerns interfering with school progress
- Provide extra practice to support skills taught in the classroom guidance program
Developmental Guidance Lessons
The classroom guidance component allows us to meet with each class once per month. Classroom lessons address age (grade) appropriate, targeted areas of student development, supported by activities that are conducted on a planned basis.
- Self-awareness Decision-making Problem-solving
- Anger management Responsible Behavior Conflict resolution
- Career Education Friendship Anxiety
- Test Taking Skills Bullying Prevention
The School Counselor
The school counselor is a professionally trained specialist with a strong background in the behavioral sciences and human relations. The school counselor works with parents, teachers, and administrators to support our students.
- Serves as a resource
- Conferences with parents and staff to promote a positive learning experience
- Provides information, materials, and referral assistance
- Gains understanding of students through observation