Bixby Public School’s Legislative Night
Community meeting addressing Oklahoma public education topics
Bixby Public Schools is hosting a Legislative Night on March 10 to help inform our community on the issues related to public education and what we can do about them. This is part of our “Spartans at the Capital” initiative where Bixby Public School parents, faculty, staff and community members will volunteer to visit with legislature representatives in Oklahoma City every Tuesday starting on March 21. Bixby Public School's Superintendent Dr. Kyle Wood, Oklahoma Education Association Representative Ivy Riggs, Bixby's Parent Teacher Association Representative Tristy Fryer and Bixby Education Association's President Jessica Jernegan will be speaking on Legislative Night addressing topics and answering questions that include vouchers, state testing, and school funding as these legislative issues directly affect Bixby's students. This event is open to the public in Bixby High School’s Auditorium at 601 S. Riverview. The event will begin at 6:00 p.m.
- 6:00 Welcome: Bixby Public School Superintendent Dr. Kyle Wood 6:05-6:20 Guest Speaker: OEA Representative - Ivy Riggs
- What are the current most critical legislative issues in regards to public education?
- 6:20-6:30: Kyle Wood
- How do legislative issues affect our students?
- What are the specific implications for Bixby Public Schools?
- 6:30-6:40 Parent Teacher Representative Tristy Fryer
- What can parents do to help?
- How important is parent/PTA involvement?
- 6:40-6:50 Bixby Education Association President Jessica Jernegan
- What can we do to advocate for public education and Bixby’s students?
- How can we make our voices heard?
- What are the logistics of teacher/parent capitol visits?
- 6:50 “Spartans at the Capitol” Visit/Volunteer Sub Sign-Ups & Q and A